"Change is only good if it is in the RIGHT direction."
--Winston Churchill
This is the blog of an ordinary married couple who seem to have difficulty in being ordinary. Please join us as we laugh at ourselves and contemplate this world that we live in.

The Thelen's Love Dare

I am not sure how many of you have watched the great movie, Fireproof, but if you haven't you really should. It is an awesome movie about marriage. Matt and I both bought the daily devotional called "Love Dare" which goes along with the movie and challenges you to be a better spouse. The ironic thing is that we didn't realize that the other person had also bought the book until today when I mentioned how bummed I was that Matt didn't realize the very nice gesture that I had made to him. Now I am only on Day 2 of the journal but the challenge for the day was to not say anything negative about your spouse (for those of you who know Matt you will know much easier of a time I will have at this than he will have about me) and then also to perform an unexpected act of kindness.
Now I hate ironing. In fact I despise it. My main happiness in the last few weeks of working insane hours has been that I get to wear scrubs every day. Matt however is interviewing for jobs, etc and has to dress accordingly. He had some pants that needed to be ironed and I figured that would be an excellent way to show much I love him. So, with the best of intentions in my heart, I spent quite a while ironing a pair of his pants. I was a little confused on what exactly to do about the creases in the front and since I am not a huge fan of creases in pants I simply ironed them out. Perhaps that is where my act of kindness went a little astray!
This evening at dinner I sadly announced that I was concerned that he hadn't noticed the nice thing that I had done for him (I think getting credit for the good deed isn't the point of the book, but I was quite proud of myself!) and Matt started laughing and said that when he saw his pants he brought them to get dry cleaned because of how badly I had ironed them. Hmmmm......I guess it is true that no good deed goes unpunished! The nice thing is that together we had a good laugh about the whole ordeal.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it this post! It is so graet you are doing the love dare - I have thought about buying that too! And it gave me a much needed laugh to think about you ironing matt's pants!

Amy said...

Hilarious! I can relate--I've often said I should take an ironing class. Joel and I are just going to start doing the Love Dare too. Hope your journey through the book is blessed!

The DeVries' said...

So funny Sarah!! :) You crack me up...I can totally picture it! I would've wanted credit too! I actually don't mind ironing, so if you (and Rudy and Joel) wanted to move to STL, maybe I can do all of it for you! :)

Post a Comment

Click to Follow This Blog


Rest and Relaxation